This EDC (Educational Developers Caucus) Accredited course is for experienced TAs interested in developing teaching and learning with their peers. It consists of four 3.5-hour classes spread over 9 months (September to May) and an experiential component, consisting of designing and delivering educational events for your peers. Completion of the TA Certificate in Teaching (TACT) course is required.
By the end of the course participants will
- Design and facilitate professional development workshops for their target audience
- Assess the needs of their target audience and respond by fulfilling the expressed need in the form of a workshop or resource
- Evaluate the effectiveness of their workshops/resource by reflecting on their experience and the feedback received from the participants and their mentor
- Articulate their own professional development goals according to the SMART model
In order to receive their certificate, participants in the STA Program must complete the following tasks:
- Attend and participate fully in all course sessions (dates below)
- Plan and deliver two educational events (one per term)
- Monitor and evaluate the effectiveness and acceptability of the events
- Meet with assigned mentor(s) in preparation and review of the events, reviewing and setting professional development goals according to the SMART model
- Plan and present a session at our annual Symposium “Supporting Teaching At York” (STAY)
- Collaborate with peers in the program to prepare and facilitate a workshop during the final session of the course
- Write a final reflective report
Session dates for the 2017-2018 Program are as follows:
- Session 1: Monday September 18, 2017.
- Session 2: Monday November 27, 2017.
- Session 3: Monday January 15, 2018.
- Session 4: Monday March 26, 2018.
- STAY Symposium: Friday May 4, 2018.
All sessions will take place from 9am – 12:30pm in DB 1014.
Registration for the 2017-2018 Senior Teaching Assistant Program is now closed. Applications for the 2018-2019 Senior Teaching Assistant (STA) Course will be accepted beginning in June 2018.
*Please note that only applicants that have completed TACT and are available and can commit to all in-class dates (to be listed above) will be accepted into the program. Successful applicants will be notified by September 1, 2018.