eLearning @ York is an experiential learning course in which participants will combine pedagogical theories with first-hand experience to the design of fully online and blended courses. This hands-on course will have participants design different components of their online/blended course. By the end of the course, participants should be able to draft a course design blueprint for their course. In particular, upon completion of the course, participants should be able to apply sound learning theories and pedagogies to build various key components of fully online/blended modules.
This course will introduce a systematic process of designing a blended or fully online course. No design experience is required. This is a SEDA accredited course. Upon successful completion of the course, participants will receive a Certificate of Completion from the Teaching Commons (issued by request). Participants will also be awarded a SEDA Certificate for accomplishing additional SEDA assessment tasks. Please refer to the course guides (linked below) for Certificate of Completion and SEDA Certificate requirements.
Apply sound learning theories and pedagogies to design various key components of an online/blended course.
- design a basic structure for your course/module
- select appropriate learning activities
- design appropriate assessment tasks
- embed participation strategies that encourage engagement
We are currently offering two types of eLearning courses:
- eLearning@York – Designing Fully Online Courses (course guidelines — fully online learning)
- eLearning@York – Designing Blended Courses (course guidelines — Blended learning)
The eLearning @ York course is a blended learning experience comprising two two-hour face-to-face sessions and two online sessions. Through these sessions, participants are encouraged to reflect on their experiences as a student of eLearning to inform the development and design of their own blended or online course.
Individual consultation sessions, booked to follow the last face-to-face session, will be available to participants seeking support to complete the final assignment and receive course credit. A set of resource, grouped by topic, will also be available to participants who would like further detail beyond what the collaborative sessions provide. These resources/modules are optional, and self-paced.
Participants are expected to actively engaging in all course activities. Participants will spend, on average, 1-2 hours per day over 3-5 days to complete the course.
2016-2017 eLearning Course offerings
In the 2016-2017 academic year, we will have multiple offerings of eLearning@York courses. If you see a schedule that works, in the type that you are most interested in (blended or fully online), register early to secure your spot!
eLearning@York: Designing fully online courses
- Offering 1: Monday, September 26, 10 am -12 pm in DB (formerly TEL) 1009 & Wednesday, September 28, 10 am -12 pm in DB (formerly TEL) 1012
- Offering 2: Wednesday, November 23, 10 am -12 pm in DB (formerly TEL) 1014 & Friday, November 25, 10 am -12 pm in DB (formerly TEL) 1014
- Offering 3: Wednesday, February 15 2017, 10 am -12 pm in DB (formerly TEL) 1012 & Friday, February 17 2017, 10 am -12 pm in DB (formerly TEL) 1012 CANCELLED
eLearning@York: Designing blended online courses
- Offering 1: Designing blended instructions: Tuesday, November 1 pm – 3 pm in DB (formerly TEL) 1014 & Friday, November 4, 1 pm – 3 pm in DB (formerly TEL) 1009
- Offering 2: Designing blended instructions: Monday, March 20 2017, 1 pm – 3 pm in DB (formerly TEL) 1014 & Wednesday 22, 1 pm – 3 pm in DB (formerly TEL) 1014
*We can also offer specially scheduled or adapted workshops for groups of 6 or more*
Registering for a Winter 2017 eLearning@York course
To enroll in one of the above eLearning@York sessions, please fill in the form: Registration Form.